Thursday, April 07, 2005

Try this view on for size

Hello again. Some of you know that I do communications and PR for a company called Rohm and Haas. They make chemicals and as you can image, I am knee-deep in environmental issues. One of the things I do is called issues management, where you actually find the most vocal critic of your company and the toughest issue and you contact them to work together to get to the bottom of a problem. I have been doing that with vinyl, the stuff that goes into siding, windows, car bumpers, refrigerators, etc. As a result, I have stumbled upon this guy, see, who shoots every stereotype in the foot. His name is: Dr. Patrick Moore and he was the cofounder of Greenpeace.

This is his website. http://www.greenspirit.com

I have not talked personally with him, but take a look at his approach. It gets to some of Marc's comments on the environmental groups in Europe, many of whom I have worked with in the last few years, and really gets to the bottom of the whole socio-economic problems with a simple environmental influence campaign. Sustainable development is right now a term that I believe has no single definition and so is being twisted in every conceivable way. Moore's view is closer to my personal view and one that I am pushing in my circles at work. And by the way, WATER is the next big thing. Take it from a guy dealing in PLASTICS. I have seen some stuff on the lab bench that is truly amazing. And the real fact is, once people see that water as a scarce commodity can impact economies, a lot is going to change. Trust me (or not).

3 Comments:

At April 07, 2005, Blogger Victor Laszlo said...

Definitely water is a big issue. That guy looks a bit too utne spiritual for me. If I'm out in nature and I feel some kind of cosmic presence I try to blot that out as soon as possible. Is this guy right or left or what? Or is that the point, you're not supposed to be able to figure him out?

 
At April 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the corporate power. R and H has the resources to devote an entire staff position to neutralizing this guy.

 
At April 08, 2005, Blogger Carmen said...

Interesting. I seem to have struck a nerve here. Actually, if you dig deeper on this guy, he comes up out of the spritual goo to really put the science in the spotlight. I like that. Makes people sweat on both sides of the fence.

Frankly, I was not feeling that controversial and was trying to keep it real, yo. Maybe I will find another moniker that speaks to me. Maybe based on a tree, or flower. Hhmm, yes, I like that. I will think on it.

I actually did read the piece on the death of the environmental movement and that is what brought this guy to mind. I think they are largely right, but for me it all centers on Africa since the real issue is what will you in the name of the environment, when the payoff is slim, the profits are hard to come by and the economic balance is so fragile. Look at the movement to link wildlife preserves sometime (covered in National Geographic and other places). That is an interesting socio-economic effort and I have talked myself blue in the face raising the issue of doing business in Africa and people here think I am just naive and unrealistic, even my now retired buddy from south africa (I spent a long night drinking with him in scotland several years ago and the guy was completely beyond comparison, but that is another story).

As for the staff position, I have been angling for it, but sadly, the pay just isn't there these days for rogue neutralizers. And really, how do you drop that on the resume?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home