Thursday, September 08, 2005

too little, too late?

Well, it looks like the Dems have finally found an issue they think is safe enough to get aggressive on - Katrina. Edwards has actually resurfaced -- I thought maybe he had died.

Not sure how I feel about this one. First of all, I think it may be too late. Rush and the wack jobs have already built up their defenses. Take a look at this insane Hitchens article - this guy will say anything to cover being a supporter of the war. Polls suggest that they won't get much traction on this issue (see first article).

Secondly, I don't trust what the Dems a're going to do with this issue anyway. Are they going to begin requesting higher taxes so that FEMA can be properly funded? I doubt it. Are they going to take the political risk of criticizing the Department of Homeland Security? Doubt it. Are they going to suggest that the war effort undermines our ability to deal with domestic problems? Yeah, right! If they don't have any strategic orientation in addition to simply trying to demonize Bush, it won't work. Criticizing Bush is unAmerican and anti-religion.

1 Comments:

At September 08, 2005, Blogger Victor Laszlo said...

I think it's good that they are at least beginning to attack Bush. I share some of your frustration, but I feel that the Dems are the only opposition party there is now and for the forseeable future so we have to support it while trying to make it more progressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home