Friday, November 11, 2005

Talkin Politics

"In a polarized society like ours today, it can be difficult to remember that we must engage in respectful dialogue and build on our shared values with those who disagree with us on some issues. I have traveled across the country a couple of times, and wherever I've gone, I've met people who shared certain basic values: civility, optimism, a committment to do the right thing. I've found these values just as often in states considered "conservative," like Indiana and Idaho, as in "progressive" states, like Massachusetts and California--or even more often." Peter Schurman, Executive Director, MoveOn in MoveOn's 50 Ways to Love Your Country, p. 3.

I find it difficult to talk politics with people in general, especially people who I disagree with and who have strong opinions. It just becomes a shouting match. Perhaps "building on shared values" is the right place to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home